ORANGES WITH ROSEWATER, DATES & CANDIED WALNUTS
This elegant composition of flavors from the Middle East is refreshing, delicious and so simple to make. It works equally well as a side salad or dessert.
- Oranges ( We prefer a mixture of blood oranges, cara cara, and navel oranges when in season. Navels make their debut in the fall, while the others typically show up later n the winter)
- Dates - pitted and sliced lengthwise into narrow wedges
- Candied Walnuts (see below)
- Rosewater (Preferably a brand from the Middle East, like Cortas)
- Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Good Quality Cinnamon
Cut off top and bottom of oranges and carefully peel, removing all the exterior pith. Slice oranges into 1/3" wheels. Lay oranges on serving platter, integrating all the varieties into a beautiful composition.
Holding your thumb over the bottle of Rosewater, sprinkle it sparingly on oranges. Lightly dust cinnamon across the oranges. Drizzle EVOO across the orange slices using a ribboning pattern to prevent oil from over-pooling in one place. Sprinkle sliced dates across the oranges, followed by candied walnuts
- 1 cup walnuts, halves and pieces
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together all the spices. Blanch walnuts in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain in a sieve, but do not allow to completely dry. While still damp, toss walnuts in spices coating evenly. Arrange on a payment paper lined baking sheet, and bake until lightly brown, approx 12-15 minutes. Let cool. Store in a airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 weeks.