There are so many ways to put these perfectly complementary ingredients into a salad. There's the classic layering of fresh mozzarella on top of sliced tomatoes or the modernized caprese stack. We love to put tiny balls of fresh mozzarella, 'ciliegine' to work with halved baby tomatoes. We add avocado to to localize this classic Italian salad to California and depart from the overpowering balsamic by using a lemon vinaigrette which brings essential acidity and keeps the avocado bright.
- Equal parts of fresh mozzarella and fresh summer tomatoes (preferably baby heirloom) -- approx. 2 cups each
- 1 Avocado
- Greek Basil leaves or Sweet Basil Chiffonade
- Kalamata Olives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- High Quality Olive Oil
- salt & pepper
- Cut ciliegine balls in half or cut larger format fresh mozzarella into 3/4" cubes. Layer mozzarella on platter or wide mouth serving bowl.
- Repeat process with tomatoes so that tomatoes and mozzarella are similar in size
- Peel, remove seed an cut avocado into pieces - the size is base on preference. We opt for like-sizing the avocado to the tomato an mozzarella. Lightly mix the tomatoes into the mozzarella by hand, without over-disturbing the mozzarella, which would cause the tomatoes to pick up a milky coating
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking 6 Tbsp olive oil with 2 Tbsp lemon juice, season with salt. Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Sprinkle Greek Basil leaves and Kalamata olives over salad to taste and aesthetic preference